The City of Bloomington’s new zoning map, and the proposed amendment to the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO), would upzone many of the city’s single family neighborhoods to allow new multiplex apartment buildings as permitted uses.
The new R4 zoning category allows the conversion of many areas, including Bloomington’s Historic Core Neighborhoods but also subdivisions across the city, to Luxury Rental Apartments. The Historic Core Neighborhoods of Elm Heights, Prospect Hill, McDoel Gardens, the Near West Side, Maple Heights, Bryan Park, and others will be converted from affordable, diverse, owner‐occupied, single family housing to Luxury Rental Apartments.
The R‐4 Zoning Template:
– Allows Quadplex, Triplex and Duplex, Luxury Rental Apartment Buildings that are up to 40’ in Height (3 Stories Tall).
– Allows these 3 story Apartment Buildings within 5’ of the neighbors’ shared side property line.
– Allows 50% lot coverage, which is 3,500 square feet of a 7,000 square foot Lot. (please calculate this lot coverage based on your lot size)
– Allows up to 12 Bedrooms in a Quadplex, Luxury Rental Apartment Building by Conditional‐use. (if the Developer meets the Zoning Code they will get approval).
– Allows the Apartment Building to be up to 40’ in width on a 50’ wide lot.
‘This R‐4 Zoning will promote the combining of multiple lots and in turn the demolition of the Affordable Housing Stock of the Historic Core Neighborhoods.’
‘Developers from around the country will be participating in this luxury rental real estate opportunity’.
There’s still time to stop this.